The issue of paternity should already be resolved by the time a child support case comes before the Office of Child Support Hearings (OCSH) for child support establishment. Paternity can be resolved via a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity process usually initiated at the hospital after a child’s birth or by court order.

The Family Law Division of the Department of the Attorney General represents the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) in court actions to establish paternity.  Court actions include interstate paternity cases sent to CSEA for establishment when the defendant is located in Hawaiʻi.

For CSEA contact information click on this link:

Individuals may either apply with the CSEA for services to establish paternity via the Family Law Division, or may file their own actions by hiring an attorney or by filing pro se actions in Family Court. The Family Court of the First Circuit has materials available to pro se parties at the Help Desk located at 4675 Kapolei Parkway, Kapolei, HI 96707. Telephone:(808) 954-8290.