- Independent Sector’s Principles for Good Governance & Ethical Practice
- Attorney General Dissolution Procedures & checklist for Public Benefit Corporations (NEW)
- Registered Charity Annual Report Information Sheet
- Frequently Asked Questions For Professional Solicitors and Professional Fundraising Counsels
- The Regulation of Public Charities and Private Foundations in Hawaii
- AG and DCCA Guidance: Think Carefully Before Forming a New Nonprofit Organization
Joint guidance from the Department of the Attorney General and DCCA on things to carefully consider before forming a new nonprofit organization
- Internet and Social Media Fundraising: Wise Giving Tips
- Right from the Start: Responsibilities of Nonprofit Directors
A good basic guide to duties of nonprofit directors, from the New York Attorney General’s Office
- IRS Governance Checklist for Charitable Organizations
This is the check sheet used by IRS agents in auditing charitable organizations governance practices.
- Guidance on the Formation & Taxation of Nonprofits (From the Hawaii Department of Taxation)
Includes helpful discussion of the general excise tax treatment of fundraising income.
- The Lifecycle of a Public Charity (everything you need to know about the lifecycle of a public charity, from the IRS)
- Stay Exempt-Tax Basics for 501(c)(3) Orgs
This online training provides the tools and knowledge to help you keep your organization’s exempt status intact. It consists of five interactive courses, which you can take individually and in any order.
- Top Ten Internal Controls All Nonprofits Should Implement
The 10 internal controls nonprofit organizations should implement, courtesy of Jack Siegel, author of the Desktop Guide for Nonprofit Directors, Doing Good While Avoiding Trouble While Doing Good.
- Internal Controls and Financial Accountability for Nonprofit Boards (From the New York AG’s Charities Section)
- Attorney General Guidance regarding Charitable Raffles
Guidance from the Attorney General so that organizations do not run afoul of Hawaii’s strict gambling laws.
- Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Guide (Guidance for donors)
- IRS Powerpoint on Political Intervention During Election Year
This is a powerpoint on political intervention by charitable organizations during election years. Any organization exempt under section 501(c)(3) may not intervene for or against candidates for elective office.
- IRS Publication 4302 – – A Charity’s Guide to Car Donation
- IRS Publication 4303 – – A Donor’s Guide to Car Donations
- A Donor’s Guide to the 990 Form
- Should Your Charity Go Out of Business: Six Warning Signs
Nonprofit Decline and Dissolution Report: Fieldstone Alliance. When should an organization consider going out of business? 1. (Financial crisis; mission accomplished; organizational problem; board apathy; staff apathy; mission no longer applicable; legal crisis; lack of community support)
- Charity: Give or Take?
Guidance for Donors from the Federal Trade Commission on how to avoid charitable solicitation fraud.
- Considerations in Forming a Nonprofit Corporation (Radio Show/Audio File)
Courtesy of Hawaii Public Radio (KHPR)Talk Show Business of the Arts. Hugh R. Jones, Supervising Deputy Attorney in the Hawaii Attorney General’s Office, Brian Ezuka, Attorney, and Louise King Lanzilotti, CEO of Kaliko Lehua El Systema Hawaii discuss a very basic question: Why incorporate as an arts non profit? (This file is currently unavailable)