Tax and Charities Division
We are very pleased to announce that the new Hawaii Professional Fundraiser Registration System is now available for your firm to begin submitting registrations for the July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2016 year. Please note that because we are transitioning to an online registration system, every professional solicitor and fundraising counsel will have to complete an “initial registration” through this system regardless of whether the organization has submitted paper registration documents to our office for prior years. Solicitors and fundraising counsel that have current contracts that extend past June 30, 2015 will need to upload a copy of the contract for that charity client when you complete your initial registration.
The link below will take you to the registration side of this system. The public side of this system where members of the public will be able to search and view all of the registration materials is still under construction and should be launched within the next few weeks.
We believe that the system is very user friendly and intuitive as it follows the format and asks for the same information that the paper registration/renewal form and end of campaign financial reports did. Below is a short guide and a longer user manual for the system to help you get started.
Registration site URL: https://ag.ehawaii.gov/fundraiser.
Hawaii Charity Registration System
For charitable organizations that solicit contributions in Hawaii.
- Guide for Hawaii Charity Registration (updated Sept 2014)
A step by step guide on how to start and complete the registration statement for a charitable organization, including guidance on obtaining a logon and password to registration system.
- Hawaii Charity Annual Financial Report Guide (Sept 2014)
A step by step guide on how registered charities submit their annual financial report (IRS Form 990/990EZ) and audited statements if required, and pay annual fees.
- Hawaii Special Charity Annual Financial Report Guide (Oct 2014)
A step by step guide on how registered charities that do not file an IRS Form 990/990EZ or that are not required to file an annual report with the IRS complete a special annual transmittal form to submit their annual financial report and audited financial statements if required, and pay annual fees.
- Guide to Obtaining a Paid Preparer Login – Nov 2014
- Guide to Managing User Logins for Existing Registration Accounts – Nov 2014
Hawaii Charities Online
This site allows you to:
- Search Hawaii’s Charity Registry for charitable organizations who are registered to solicit contributions in Hawaii or who have been granted an exemption from registration. Search the registry by name of organization, keyword and other search means and view the charity’s registration form. The registry will also provide access for the Form 990/990EZ of each registered charity.
- Pay the annual registration fees.
- Submit an online Exemption From Registration Application. Organizations may now complete and submit an online application for exemption from registration.
IRS Automatic Revocation Program
The federal tax exemption of each organization listed below was automatically revoked for its failure to file a Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-PF, or 990-N return with the Internal Revenue Service for three consecutive years.
Information about the IRS Automatic Revocation program may be found at : http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Automatic-Revocation-of-Exemption