The Tax & Charities Division represents the Department of Taxation in matters relating to Tax Appeals, Foreclosures, Bankruptcies, etc. Our Division is also responsible for regulating charitable organizations, professional solicitors, professional fundraising counsels, and their activities in the State of Hawaii.
You may also search for charitable organizations by downloading our free mobile app “Hawaii Charity Finder” from iTunes or Google Play Store.
Search for information about charitable organizations and other entities that are allowed to solicit contributions in Hawaii:
File with the Hawaii Department of the Attorney General:
- Registration and Annual Reports for Charitable Organizations
- Application for Exemption from Registration for Charitable Organizations
- Professional Solicitors and Fundraising Counsels Registration and Renewals
- Commercial Co-venturers Consent Forms
- Complaints about Charitable Organizations
- IRS Form 990-PF
- Notice of Intent to Dissolve a Public Benefit Corporation
- Annual Statement Relating to Issuance of Charitable Gift Annuities
Learn more information and access helpful guides here:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Registration Guide
- Annual Reporting Requirements
- Annual Financial Reporting Guide
- Annual Special Transmittal Guide (This guide should be used by organizations who submit the Form 990-N to the IRS)
- Guide to Obtain a Paid Preparer Login
- Guide to Managing User Logins for Existing Registration Accounts
- Procedures for Paid Preparers to Authenticate Annual Reports
- Procedures and Checklist for the Dissolution of a Public Benefit Corporation
Professional Fundraiser System:
Other Useful Information:
- Tax Issues Affecting Hawaii Non-Profit Organizations
- Things to Consider When Forming A Not-For-Profit Organization
- Wise Giving Tips for Internet and Social Media Solicitations
- Read This Before Making a Charitable Donation
- Attorney General's Guidance on Charitable Raffles
- DCCA - Search for Hawaii Business Entities
- IRS - Exempt Organizations Select Check
- Understanding Crowdfunding
For information regarding administrative actions our office has taken against charitable organizations, click here.
The information regarding an organization listed on this website is obtained from documents submitted by the organization. As such, it should be used for general information purposes only as the Department of the Attorney General cannot guarantee the accuracy, quality, or validity of the information. An organization’s inclusion on our charities website is not an assurance that the organization is: (1) an approved tax-exempt organization under the Internal Revenue Code; (2) one for which a donation to said organization is tax deductible; or (3) in compliance with all laws.
If you are considering contributing to an organization, we encourage you to do your own research to ensure your donation is used for its intended purposes. See the “Learn More” section on this page for useful material and helpful guides. For information about the different types of tax-exempt organizations and the deductibility of contributions visit www.IRS.Gov.
The Office of the Attorney General does not endorse any organization posted on this site.