Deposits of Currency

Deposits of Currency

There are two different deposit designations, one is for currency that has been seized and the other is for currency that has been forfeited.


    Seized Currency

    Seized currency is for currency that has been seized for forfeiture (as opposed to being seized for evidence).  A Notice of Seizure for Forfeiture should have been served upon all known parties by the police or other law enforcement agency (i.e. Narcotics Enforcement Division of the State Department of Public Safety).

    Forfeited Currency

    Forfeited currency is currency that has gone through the Administrative Forfeiture process and an Order Re: Administrative Forfeiture should have been filed by the Attorney General granting the forfeiture of the currency.

  2. Deposits with the Attorney General

    The Attorney General has one bank account into which agencies may deposit currency.  Within that bank account are three funds.  Of the three funds, the 320 Account is for forfeited currency and the 906 Account is for seized currency. The third fund is used by the Attorney General to hold cost bond monies paid by persons seeking the return of their seized property through the judiciary.

  3. Making Deposits

    • Which fund should the currency go into?

      To determine which fund the currency should go to, there are a few questions that should be answered:

      • Has a Notice of Seizure for Forfeiture been served upon all known interested party(ies)?
      • Has the case been or will be forwarded to the prosecuting agency for forfeiture?
      • Has the prosecuting attorney indicated they will be or have filed a Petition for Administrative Forfeiture?
      • Has an Order Re: Administrative Forfeiture been filed/granted by the Attorney General?
        If all of the questions a) through c) are “yes” and d) is “no,” then the currency should be designated as “Seized” currency and the deposit of the currency should be made into the 906 account.
        If all of the questions a) through d) are “yes,” then the currency should be designated as “Forfeited” currency and the deposit of the currency should be made into the 320 account.
    • Preparing the Deposit
      • Deposits may be made individually or in bulk. Deposits made individually have a deposit slip for each case. Deposits made in bulk will have a number of cases made utilizing one deposit slip.
      • Keep seized currency to be for 906 account and forfeited currency for the 320 account separate.
      • Number of deposit slips – at least two (2). The original is used for the bank and the second slip along with the bank deposit receipt (looks like a cash register receipt) is for the Attorney General.  Additional copies can be added for your files.
        Note:  The State Department of Budget and Finance prefers the use of the pre-printed deposit slips and not the generic bank deposit forms.
        Bank Deposit Slips
        If you need to order more deposit slips, please contact the Asset Forfeiture Unit by phone, email, or fax to have more deposit slips ordered. Please have the number of slips wanted, which branch you want to pick the slips up from, the contact person and the contact phone number. The bank takes about 5-10 business days to have the slips completed and delivered.
    • Making the Deposit
      • Currently deposits can be made at any branch of First Hawaiian Bank.
    • Sending Deposit Receipts to the Attorney General
      • For accurate recordkeeping it is important to send the deposit receipts to the Attorney General within a reasonable time. The Attorney General does not get a reconciliation report until the end of each fiscal year so, even though the monies have been deposited in August, 2005, unless we get your deposit receipts, our Budget and Finance Office will not ask for the identification of the deposit until July, 2006.
      • Using the attached deposit list form,  which is being provided in Excel and Word formats, make one form for seized deposits (906) and one form for forfeited deposits (320) listing the following information:

        Report No.:              Your report number
        A.G. No.:                 Our A.G. or Court Case No.
        Name(s):                 Please provide at least one name of the interested part(ies)
        Amount:                  Amount of the deposit
        Deposit Date:           Date of depositFor seized deposits (906) there may not be an A.G. Number assigned yet so unless you have an A.G. Number, that may be left blank.

    • Send the lists, validated deposit slips and bank deposit receipts to:

      Department of the Attorney General Civil Recoveries Division Asset Forfeiture Unit 425 Queen Street Honolulu, Hawaii  96813-2903

    • Contact Information

Phone:          (808) 586-1100

Fax:              (808) 586-8116

Cheryl Wong

Phone:          (808) 586-1165

Fax:              (808) 586-1375

Email:            [email protected]